Before buying a certified pre-owned vehicle, let’s learn about the certified pre-owned car program offered by Honda. Only well-maintained Honda models that are less than six years old and have a maximum of 80,000 miles are eligible for certification.
Six years old for a typical vehicle would be consideredold for any other make of certified pre-owned used car, but Hondas have a solid reputation for longevity and reliability.
To be cautious,consider a pre-purchase vehicle inspectionif the Honda you are considering buying has more than 70,000 miles.
This article will explain the warranty program for the manufacturer; how old the certified pre-owned used cars are, and the benefits from the manufacturer’s certified pre-owned program.
The Honda certified pre-owned program is similar to that of Acura. Acura offers more luxurious vehicles with more bells and whistles. You might be surprised to find that some Hondas (i.e. the Accord or the Pilot) are as nice as anything Acura has to offer.
Each Honda certified pre-owned candidate receives:
- A certification process that includes an exhaustive 182-point mechanical and appearance inspection. (Formerly a 150 point inspection, a 20 percent increase in thoroughness.)
- Honda-trained technicians scrutinize all major vehicle systems, including brakes, engine, drivetrain, steering, suspension, tires, wheels, exhaust system and vehicle interior and exterior
- Honda-trained technicians recondition any component that does not meet standards, or replace it with Honda parts. It’s worth asking what parts needed to be replaced and what parts were reconditioned. See if you can get reconditioned parts to be replaced with new Honda parts, which will presumably last longer.
The warranty covers major engine and transmission components, with the exception of standard maintenance items, body glass and interior. Honda will repair or replace any covered part that is defective in material and workmanship under normal use. There is a $0 deductible and the following major systems/components are covered:
- Major engine and transmission components, except for standard maintenance items, body glass and interior.
- Repair or replacement of any covered part that is defective under normal use with a $0 deductible.
- Powertrain coverage for 7-years/100,000 miles from the vehicle’s original in-service date.
Check out the Honda website for more information.
Here are some other things to consider:Vincentric has named Honda the Best Certified Pre-Owned Value Passenger Car Brand in America. In determining their awards, Vincentric measured which vehicles had lower-than-expected ownership costs based on a range of factors that included depreciation, fees and taxes, financing, fuel, insurance, maintenance, opportunity cost and repairs.
Kelley Blue Book’s KBB.com has honored several Honda vehicles for their outstanding resale value. The 2014 Accord, Accord Plug-In, Civic Si and CR-V received Best Resale Value Awards in the Mid-Size, Plug-In, Sporty Compact and Top 10 categories, respectively.
This award recognizes vehicles that, after undergoing a rigorous research and analysis process, demonstrate that they will best retain their value after five years of ownership. Honda’s success in resale value is a testament to their design and manufacture.